Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Ask Miss Imperfect

So I recieved a question that I thought I would post the answer to up here, so here goes.

Miss Imperfect,


I have CRAZY knotty hair, I have tried everything I can think of to get my hair to stop knotting, but nothing is working.  It is getting to the point where my hair is just one big knot.  It is hard to brush, it hurts to brush, and when I do brush it it comes out.  I don't know what to do....I love my hair.  Do you have any tips??


Miss knotty hair.


Well Miss Knotty, I know what you're going through, my hair is very thin and I have the same problem, so I'm going to give you some tips that have helped me =)

1) I deep condition my hair 2 or 3 times a week, if I don't it gets VERY bad.
2) I only wash my hair every other day.
3) I take a bath once a week.  When I am running the water I throw a little Epsom Salt in. I put my hair under water and let it soak for around 15 minutes.  When I pull it up I let it dry for a few minutes and then work some conditioner through my strands. I take long baths so the conditioner sits for at least a half hour before I rinse it out, it helps quite a bit. (Epsom Salt ALSO helps with achey muscles.)
4) When you wash your hair make sure it is WET when you put shampoo and only damp when you put conditioner in.  I wring my hair out before I use my conditioner.
5) Grab a wide toothed comb and take it in the shower with you, use it to comb your hair after you put the conditioner in it. The conditioner makes it a bit easier to comb and combing helps work the conditioner into your locks.
6) Leave your conditioner in for 2-5 minutes every time you use it.
7) Never BRUSH your hair while it's wet, it leads to breakage and damaged hair will always knot easier.
8) Use a detangler.
9) Leave in Conditioner is your friend.  I even use it on days I don't wash my hair.  I use the John Frieda stuff, but you can use anything you want =)
10) Use a wide toothed comb or finger comb gently to try and work the knots out.
11) When I comb my hair and it's knotty, I grab the section of hair and hold it while I comb it, it makes it not hurt SO much.
12) When you comb out a snarl work from the ends to the roots.

And that's about it for now.  Of course there are home remedies you can try such as Olive Oil and Mayonnaise, but I can't stand the smell of mayo, so I've never tried it. =)

I hope this Helps!

Miss Imperfect =)

No comments:

Post a Comment